Jan 5, 2013

Mirrored Chest

I love mirrored furniture - but the it is too pricey to purchase, so I decided to make my own. 

INSPIRATION
These were my inspiration photos. These pretty babies range in cost from $1,200 - $3,400 way out of my range for one piece of furniture. 

THE HUNT
I hit Craigslist - one of my favorite shopping avenues.  I found this little beauty for $30.

PREP & PAINT
Not much to look at now, but I had a vision!  I washed the surfaces of the dresser thoroughly.  I then painted all the surfaces that would be showing after applying the mirrors.  You can use any paint you like.  I found this metallic gold and silver paint at a local variety store.  It worked well to re-create the glam finish I was after.  I used the silver for the base coat and then lightly applied a dry brush of gold on top of the silver. (Sorry I don't have more photos of the process, I did this project prior to starting my blog.)


MIRROR
My wonderful husband measured the areas to be mirrored because I am pathetic at measuring correctly and I didn't want to order the wrong size mirrors.  So down to the local glass shop I went.  Our local glass shop is so helpful, they suggested I bring in the actual drawers and have them cut and apply the mirror, as well as drill holes for knobs (yeah!).


NOTE: you have to use a special glue to adhere mirror so the glue doesn't destroy the mirrored finish on the back of the glass.  Your glass dealer can tell you what will be safe for mirrored surfaces.

EMBELLISH 
While impatiently waiting for my dresser to be mirrored I searched for the perfect knobs.  Here is where I splurged.  I couldn't resist ordering these fabulous crystal knobs on line, they were around $7 a piece (a splurge for me).





THE FINISHED PRODUCT


 I love it. I get all kinds of compliments.  Total cost was under $400, which is pretty good compared to my inspiration pieces in the thousands.
If you wanted to keep the cost down even more you could mirror just the front of the chest and still be very pretty.  Another way to save money is to NOT have the edges of the mirror beveled.  This will give you piece a slightly more modern look also.

Here is what to look for in the piece of furniture you are wishing to mirror.  Choose a piece with INSET panels on the drawers and ends.  That allows the mirror to set down into the inset and not expose any edges.  For the top, we simply tacked (or you could glue) a very small trim piece of wood around the edge to create an inset to put the mirror in. 

What I learned in this process: choose a piece of furniture that isn't too beat up.  I wish this piece had a smoother finish and fewer dings and nicks in it.  I didn't thing the small imperfections would show as much as they did after painting.

What would I change?  Well, I have this pretty chest in my living room and all the accents are mainly gold, not silver, so I am wishing I had applied more of a gold finish.  But I can still do that.  As soon as I get around to applying more gold to it, I will post a picture of how it turned out. 

Good luck creating your own glam-fabulous piece of mirrored furniture for your home!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks great!!!!! How much did the mirrors cost? From what I understand, mirrors are pretty pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mirrors were just under $400. But I mirrored all sides, front/sides/top. So it was a lot o mirror. And I had the mirros all beveled edged, so that costs more. You could get a similar look by not beveling the edges of the mirro and not mirroring the sides. The dresser only cost $25, so all the cost was in the mirror. But it is a long dresser - about 60' long so that is a lot of mirror.

      Best of luck to you if you try the project.
      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete