Jan 10, 2013

Pottery Barn style Knit Pillow


   

Pottery Barn style Knit Pillow

INSPIRATION
I saw this pillow at Pottery Barn the other day and I fell in love with how soft and snuggle it was. Made me want to curl up and watch a movie with it.   But then I looked a the price, ouch - $50.  That was not in my budget - so of course I said "I can make that".

SUPPLIES
I did a little research on line to find a big soft yarn to use.  I found Lion Brand Wool Ease was highly recommend.  I found it at Walmart and JoAnn Fabrics.  It is very soft, has the look of wool but isn't wool.  It was perfect. Not many color selections, but they had an ivory very close to my inspiration pillow.
KNIT 
I used size 15 needles and cast on 54 stitches for the 20" x 20" pillow. If you have never knitted, this is a perfect project to start with because you only have to know two stitches, the knit and pearl stitch.  The cable pattern is extremely easy to do.  I did a larger cable pattern on one side and a smaller cable pattern on the other side.  Here is the large pillow finished.




 


<-- other side of large pillow.


Here is the smaller pillow completed  -->  











THE PILLOW FORM
The Pottery Barn pillow was very soft, so I knew I needed a down pillow.  A 20" X 20" pillow insert would run around $30.  So I went to Home Goods (my very favorite store) and found two nice REAL DOWN pillows on clearance. the large one 20" x 20" was $8 and the smaller one 20" X 16" was $5.  The covers are ugly but they will be cut off anyway. Total cost to make the large pillow was $24, half the price
of the Pottery Barn inspiration piece.



Underneath the ugliness is a wonderfully soft down pillow insert.  It will work perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment